Our program is based on Royal Life Saving Australia’s Swim and Survive program. The program is developed from the National Swimming and Water Safety Framework which provides extensive training for both swimming technique and water safety. From this framework, we have developed a comprehensive program of lesson plans for each level, age and ability.
Our program is based on Royal Life Saving Australia’s Swim and Survive program and developed from the National Swimming and Water Safety Framework. The Learn to swim program is for children ages 4 years and older.
- Level 01 Independent movement
- Level 02 Basic freestyle arms over, back kicking and sculling
- Level 03 Freestyle with bilateral breathing introduction of backstroke
- Level 03+ Introduction of survival backstroke kick
- Level 04 Introduces breaststroke kick, survival backstroke kick and arms
- Level 05 Introduction of basic breaststroke with arms and legs
- Level 06 Correct breaststroke timing and introduction of dolphin kick
- Level 07 Introduction of basic butterfly arm
- Level 08 Introduction of sidestroke, butterfly drills and tumble turns.
If your swimmer has completed the Learn to Swim program and wants to further develop their swimming, fitness, and survival skills, our advanced class offers one hour of training led by an experienced Geelong swimming club coach and/or teacher.
Geelong Swimming Club, Learn to Swim provides an opportunity for swimmers enrolled into the learn to swim program that want to progress and join the Geelong Swimming Club (GSC). Transition squad is for levels 05 and onwards, it provides on deck coaching with experienced and accredited GSC coaches and provides a pathway to competitive swimming. Swimmers must commit to their one regular Learn to Swim lesson and one transition squad session a week. See our downloadable Transition Squad Flyer.